Asphalt Shingle Roof: The Key Components
When you think of your roof, the image of an asphalt shingle roof comes to mind, and for good reason too. Your asphalt shingle roof acts as your home’s first line of defense against the elements, and this is especially needed during this hot and humid summer season. You’ll mostly see these shingles on the roof of American homes because of their versatility and ease of use.
In today’s post, your exterior siding and roofing contractor, Kearns Brothers, highlights the components of an asphalt shingle roof. Read on to learn more:
1. Asphalt Shingles. Asphalt shingles are commonly installed on sloped roofs and single homes, a common feature of many American homes. These shingles are made of either organic or fiberglass materials. Fiberglass shingles are covered with a protective resin, while organic shingles are made of paper with an asphalt coating. Both are great options, but their differences lie in the base of the shingle. Both coatings protect your shingles from water infiltration since they act as a waterproof barrier.
2. Ice and Water Barriers. These barriers are installed along the areas of your roof that are susceptible to water infiltration and leaks such as the valleys, chimneys, and asphalt shingles.
3. Starter Strips. Starter strips are essential in proper asphalt shingle installation. Installing starter strips secures your shingles in place by providing the first row of sealant which stops shingles from tearing off and water penetration from occurring.
4. Underlayment. Your roofing underlayment is an added layer of protection between the shingles and your home. You won’t need roof repair if your underlayment is maintained properly and if your shingles haven’t been penetrated by water or debris.
5. Hip and Ridge Products. These components enhance your home’s appeal and aesthetic finish by sprucing up your asphalt shingle roof.
6. Ventilation System. Ventilation systems allow heat and moisture to escape from your attic, thus, improving energy-efficiency and prolongs your roof’s lifespan. They also help regulate attic temperatures as well as prevent ice dams from forming which protect your roof through all seasons.
Do you seek professional assistance for your next roof installation project? Trust in Kearns Brothers! We have been in the roofing industry since 1986. From roofing to interior services, let us be your contractor for life! Call us at (888) 355-6700 or fill out our contact form to request a virtual consultation. We serve Detroit, Dearborn, and other communities in MI.